50 Things About Darcy O’Neil
by Darcy O'Neil on February 19, 2011
Ever wanted to walk a mile in my shoes? Probably not, I understand. How about what kind of shoes I like to wear when working behind the bar? If that doesn't interest you, there are 49 other things about me you might be curious to know.
- I was born in Sarnia, Ontario
- After grade 8 I moved two blocks away from the beach. Summers were good.
- In grade school kids liked to pick on me, I preferred to punch them.
- I failed math in college
- One side of my family has been in Canada since 1694
- The other side has been in Canada since the 1840s
- Both came from Ireland
- Favorite beer during college: Labatt's Blue, then Guinness
- I drove a red 1967 Firebird convertible in college
- The first car I purchased brand spanking new was a black 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GT
- I'm a Liberal with Libertarian leanings -unfortunately I don't believe people will inherently do the right thing.
- I haven't had a speeding ticket in 10 years.
- My first real job after school was performing smoke stack emissions sampling - 210ft high, on a metal grate in -15°C.
- I worked at Imperial Oil Research (Exxon) for 7 years developing engine oils
- My first bar book, not surprisingly was Mr. Boston's purchased way back in 1992ish.
- My first attempt at making a Martini - for myself - sucked
- Favorite breakfast food - fresh fruit, cheese and yogurt
- Had a website design business in the 1990s
- I developed a pharmaceutical product that wakes you up in the morning
- My maximum bench press (3 sets of 8 reps) was 170 lbs
- I took ballroom dance for 2 years - swing, tango, waltz, foxtrot, etc.
- At one time I could mountain bike 48 km in a go - but could never run more than a single km.
- Saw Star Wars twice in the same day the first week it was released in theaters, I was 6
- I once approached a girl in a bar to say hi, her response was "go away creep".
- My favorite place on the planet is Algonquin Park
- I tend to do everything myself - mostly because I like to learn
- The first concert I ever went to was The Cult at Cobo Hall in Detroit (1990)
- Culinary weakness: ice cream
- Culinary repulsion: raw oysters
- Favorite hangout in college: Kalhoons (or the Happy Valley according to the Visa statements)
- When I was 17 I received a $53 fine for drinking underage
- I love Angostura Bitters on good vanilla ice cream
- I currently work part-time in a histology lab
- I'd love to open my own distillery
- I'm a sucker for techno-gadgets
- I find bonfires mesmerizing and better than TV
- I canceled my cable TV 2 years ago and don't miss it at all
- Born a Catholic, but my money is on Buddhism
- I'm not a big fan of flying, but have often though of getting my pilots license
- When on a boat or Seadoo I hate seeing sunken ships underneath me
- I like being a good person, because it is harder
- I spend to much time reading political news
- Has a thing for shaving kit
- Snobbery has no place in my life
- I've seen The Tragically Hip at least 18 times in concert (started back in 1992)
- I have two kids, a 2 year old and 4 year old
- Once yelled at a server, who chastized me about paying taxes on my tips, that "tax evasion isn't a team sport"
- I'm casual and relaxed by nature but hate laziness in others
- Named a catfish in my sons aquarium "Gary" after Gary Regan
- Prefer to have drinks in a quiet bar
Follow Art of Drink on Twitter
@TazFM96 @FM96JimKelly one benefit of beer in convenience stores is that Ontario micro-brewers will have more options to sell their beer
Bayer CropScience opens $2.4M bee center to improve bee health, agriculture drnk.ca/xbayer #beekeeping
This causes me concern: Cuts and red tape are gagging US and Canadian science drnk.ca/xgag