50 Things About Darcy O’Neil
by Darcy O'Neil on February 19, 2011
Ever wanted to walk a mile in my shoes? Probably not, I understand. How about what kind of shoes I like to wear when working behind the bar? If that doesn't interest you, there are 49 other things about me you might be curious to know.
- I was born in Sarnia, Ontario
- After grade 8 I moved two blocks away from the beach. Summers were good.
- In grade school kids liked to pick on me, I preferred to punch them.
- I failed math in college
- One side of my family has been in Canada since 1694
- The other side has been in Canada since the 1840s
- Both came from Ireland
- Favorite beer during college: Labatt's Blue, then Guinness
- I drove a red 1967 Firebird convertible in college
- The first car I purchased brand spanking new was a black 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GT
- I'm a Liberal with Libertarian leanings -unfortunately I don't believe people will inherently do the right thing.
- I haven't had a speeding ticket in 10 years.
- My first real job after school was performing smoke stack emissions sampling - 210ft high, on a metal grate in -15°C.
- I worked at Imperial Oil Research (Exxon) for 7 years developing engine oils
- My first bar book, not surprisingly was Mr. Boston's purchased way back in 1992ish.
- My first attempt at making a Martini - for myself - sucked
- Favorite breakfast food - fresh fruit, cheese and yogurt
- Had a website design business in the 1990s
- I developed a pharmaceutical product that wakes you up in the morning
- My maximum bench press (3 sets of 8 reps) was 170 lbs
- I took ballroom dance for 2 years - swing, tango, waltz, foxtrot, etc.
- At one time I could mountain bike 48 km in a go - but could never run more than a single km.
- Saw Star Wars twice in the same day the first week it was released in theaters, I was 6
- I once approached a girl in a bar to say hi, her response was "go away creep".
- My favorite place on the planet is Algonquin Park
- I tend to do everything myself - mostly because I like to learn
- The first concert I ever went to was The Cult at Cobo Hall in Detroit (1990)
- Culinary weakness: ice cream
- Culinary repulsion: raw oysters
- Favorite hangout in college: Kalhoons (or the Happy Valley according to the Visa statements)
- When I was 17 I received a $53 fine for drinking underage
- I love Angostura Bitters on good vanilla ice cream
- I currently work part-time in a histology lab
- I'd love to open my own distillery
- I'm a sucker for techno-gadgets
- I find bonfires mesmerizing and better than TV
- I canceled my cable TV 2 years ago and don't miss it at all
- Born a Catholic, but my money is on Buddhism
- I'm not a big fan of flying, but have often though of getting my pilots license
- When on a boat or Seadoo I hate seeing sunken ships underneath me
- I like being a good person, because it is harder
- I spend to much time reading political news
- Has a thing for shaving kit
- Snobbery has no place in my life
- I've seen The Tragically Hip at least 18 times in concert (started back in 1992)
- I have two kids, a 2 year old and 4 year old
- Once yelled at a server, who chastized me about paying taxes on my tips, that "tax evasion isn't a team sport"
- I'm casual and relaxed by nature but hate laziness in others
- Named a catfish in my sons aquarium "Gary" after Gary Regan
- Prefer to have drinks in a quiet bar
Follow Art of Drink on Twitter
@KidCampari I'm coming to the Miller on Thurs (Death Cab for Cutie concert) with my girlfriend. Will you be working?
How 'bout those apples. "US grants access to Chinese apples" drnk.ca/cnapple
The two bars I think should win the Tales of the Cocktail Spirited Award for Best Bar (International and American) drnk.ca/lastvcc
Bees are attracted to nectar containing common pesticides. drnk.ca/neobuzz